Sort Order of Columns with Dropdown List -- Feature Request

Options

Please consider offering more flexibility in the Sort functionality for columns with dropdown lists.

I appreciate the column sort order following the dropdown list's order. But, it is missing a couple things.

1. Allow the user to optionally select this behavior vs. sort on the actual alpha-numeric value in the column
  2. Contextually communicate the behavior in the Sort feature's popup box. When the column is a dropdown, the popup could make it more obvious that the behavior will follow the dropdown box order.

The current functionality does not allow me to sort alpha-numerically solely on the value that is present in the sheet's column. I have a dropdown in that column with some cell values that are not present in the dropdown list. The column sorts on the list in the dropdown, then sorts non-present values at the very bottom. While I see the value of the way that it's currently implemented, I have a scenario that wants to work outside that limitation. So, count this as a vote for expanding the capability.

Thanks for listening. I hope this helps to make Smartsheet even better.

**Dan

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's a great idea.

Please complete a product enhancement request here:

Smartsheet Product Feedback

In the meantime, if you create a report from your sheet, in the report the column will sort in alpha-numeric order no matter the dropdown list order in the sheet.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Thanks Jeff. Another solution/workaround...

1. Create a new column in the same sheet.
    2. Call that column "Sorting".
    3. Write a column formula that copies the value of the dropdown's column.
    4. Run the sort feature on that Sorting column.
    5. If desired, do not save the Sheet to allow the change to be thrown away.

Benefit: Able to prevent the modification from changing the sheet if it isn't strategically or repeatedly needed.

• Sandra Murray
    Sandra Murray ✭✭✭✭
    Options

so what's the status of this request - would be nice if add rows worked in a report so that a report was more functionally but I know that request has been out there for multiple years.