Modifying Single Row in Report, Modifies all records in Source Sheet

Jason Duryea
Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have a custom made Resource Management tool setup in Smartsheet, which consists of one Sheet and a few Reports used to track and manage resource assignments. We noticed recently that if someone (not me) modifies a single row through one of the Reports, Smartsheet is changing the Last Modified date/time and Last Modified By system columns on every single row in the source sheet to be same person and date/time stamp.

The odd thing is that when I make a change (sheet/report owner), the Last Modified By and Date is only updated for that one row.

Answers

• Hi @Jason Duryea

Are you both making changes to the same column?

My guess here is that there may be a column formula referencing a specific column, so when one of your users updates a cell in that column, the formula updates for all rows, identifying that user as the one that updated the sheet since it triggered the formula to update.

However if you made a change to a different cell that's not referenced in any formula, then your one change would only affect that one row. Is it possible this is the case? What formulas are you using in your sheet?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Jason Duryea
    Jason Duryea ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, there is a formula that would get impacted by a change to any column. I understand how this would trigger the update to each record, but found it odd that it didn't effect the Last Modified Date / By when I made a change vs someone else. Perhaps, the change in value wasn't significant enough in the calculation (whole numbers vs decimal) to cause a change across multiple records.

• Yes, that is interesting. I would like to know the difference in change as well, as I'd expect the behaviour for "modified" to be the same if you're changing the same cells, regardless of who the user is that makes that change.

If this happens again and it's affecting your process, I would suggest contacting Support so you can share screen captures of your data along with this user's email and all the formulas you're currently using.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now