Can some explain optional templates in a blueprint?

Options
Samuel Mueller
Samuel Mueller Overachievers
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We have a blueprint set up, and we are wanting to add additional reports and sheets to previously created workspaces. We added the new reports (6) and sheets (2) to the source folder - but ran into a couple issues...

The reports are unable to be created as optional. How does this work if the report's source sheet is optional?

When updating the blueprint, we are unable to check the box on the reports, and they remain unchecked, why is this?

When I go to update a workspace to add the optional templates- it's only letting me add one of the optional sheets. Why can't I add multiple?

Can anyone explain how to add reports and sheets to the blueprint to update previously created workspaces?

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Samuel Mueller

You are correct, currently Reports can not be configured as Optional in a Blueprint; they are only available as Required templates. (See the "Note" in this Help Center article: Create a Blueprint - Source Template Settings).

Since they are Required, this means that the checkbox for if they're included in the Blueprint cannot be manually checked or un-checked; whether that checkbox is checked will depend on how you answered the pop-up window when the items were first added:

If you selected "No", then this Report will stay un-checked. If you selected "Yes", then the checkbox would be set as checked.

To add new templates to already provisioned projects, you'll want to select the Project list and edit them individually by selecting “Add new Templates” option. In regards to selecting the sheets to add to a specific, previously provisioned project, you should be able to select more than one:

You may also want to review if applying a Global update is required to update any Reporting and/or Dashboards on the Blueprint after adding the new templates. Global updates are explained in the Help articles here:

Since your plan has access to it, I would recommend booking a Pro Desk session to have a coaching call over screen share where you can discuss Control Center best practices...see the third option on the Pro Desk Page, here: https://www.smartsheet.com/pro-desk

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Samuel Mueller

This may be due to a setting in your Blueprint: for optional templates, if you name and specify a "group", then the behaviour is "only pick one". However if you do not group them, then you can select multiple individual sheets. Could that be the case in your scenario?

If you don't want to Group them, then adjust this setting in your Blueprint:

If you've set up a group, the Group Name will be bolded above the templates to select:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Samuel Mueller

You are correct, currently Reports can not be configured as Optional in a Blueprint; they are only available as Required templates. (See the "Note" in this Help Center article: Create a Blueprint - Source Template Settings).

Since they are Required, this means that the checkbox for if they're included in the Blueprint cannot be manually checked or un-checked; whether that checkbox is checked will depend on how you answered the pop-up window when the items were first added:

If you selected "No", then this Report will stay un-checked. If you selected "Yes", then the checkbox would be set as checked.

To add new templates to already provisioned projects, you'll want to select the Project list and edit them individually by selecting “Add new Templates” option. In regards to selecting the sheets to add to a specific, previously provisioned project, you should be able to select more than one:

You may also want to review if applying a Global update is required to update any Reporting and/or Dashboards on the Blueprint after adding the new templates. Global updates are explained in the Help articles here:

Since your plan has access to it, I would recommend booking a Pro Desk session to have a coaching call over screen share where you can discuss Control Center best practices...see the third option on the Pro Desk Page, here: https://www.smartsheet.com/pro-desk

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

Thank you for the detailed response Genevieve. Can you think of any reason why you could not select both templates? Template set up wrong or something? I will reach out about the pro desk, that would be helpful for some of these questions we have. However I do not see any available times for control center - is that normal?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Samuel Mueller

This may be due to a setting in your Blueprint: for optional templates, if you name and specify a "group", then the behaviour is "only pick one". However if you do not group them, then you can select multiple individual sheets. Could that be the case in your scenario?

If you don't want to Group them, then adjust this setting in your Blueprint:

If you've set up a group, the Group Name will be bolded above the templates to select:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

Pretty sure that's why. Thanks again!