Dynamic View Question

Options
Katherine Camacho
Katherine Camacho ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi!

I have a dynamic view that limits the contacts to only see the information listed as theirs however im hoping to also limit their view to only information if a specific column is filled out. Im not sure if this is worked in the details panel or the original sheet. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have a process that has 7 distinct roles, so 7 different DVs. I use 7 different reports that are all pulling info from 3 sheets to get info into the specific DV so that the user can see their needed information. Thus the report will show them their role, by current user- so only the rows they need to pay attention to. Within each DV, I have conditional logic on the different fields to which then allows them to see, edit, become required, etc.

Using the report allows one more layer of filtering, so that the user only has to worry about what they need to complete at that point in time.

cheers

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Katherine Camacho

The short answer to your question is 'it depends'. The first question is when, in your dynamic view process, is the specific field being completed. If the specific column has already been filled in prior to a user viewing the information, it is possible. For logical rules to apply, the sheet has to be saved prior to the rules being in effect. This is unlike a sheet form, where conditional logic can be applied in the moment. If the sheet hasn't been saved prior to the rule being applied, one has to train the users to save their dynamic view prior to advancing to the next field. This can be error-prone depending upon the discipline of your users.

The other 'depends' is what column type is your 'specific column to be filled out'. Field logic relies on dropdown and symbol columns. You may need a helper column of either dropdown or symbol type to indicate that the proper column was filled out and then use that helper as your criteria. If you're trying to build your DV logic right now and the field you need isn't available, column type is likely your problem.

Does that help?

Kelly

• Katherine Camacho
    Katherine Camacho ✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/22
    Options

@Kelly Moore I think i can answer the questions but im not sure if it clarifies how to limit the view.

This column is a drop down column and i want the rule to be any thing selected in the column shows that row on the dv and if nothing is selected the row doesnt show in dv. The original source sheet is being worked by other people and the dv is for users to see their answers once the drop down is selected.

We are using dv to take away their ability to edit the sheet and only see their work.

So is there a way to trigger the view to only show once a drop down item is selected?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Katherine Camacho

I may have misunderstood your question. I didn't realize the entire row shouldn't show up. In my DVs, I manage what comes into the DV by using a report as my source instead of a sheet. If I don't want a ROW to show up, then I have that filter set in the report.

If you have to swap to a report, unfortunately that will mean you have to create a brand new DV since (as far as I know) you can't swap the source of a DV once the DV is created. 😒 I've already submitted my enhancement request for this. I encourage you to do the same. https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/739aa75f30ca43a8a22eb53e4da7d409?Origin=community

Does that help?

Kelly

• Katherine Camacho
    Options

@Kelly Moore

Ohhh a report, ok thanks for that tip. Ill play with it all.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have a process that has 7 distinct roles, so 7 different DVs. I use 7 different reports that are all pulling info from 3 sheets to get info into the specific DV so that the user can see their needed information. Thus the report will show them their role, by current user- so only the rows they need to pay attention to. Within each DV, I have conditional logic on the different fields to which then allows them to see, edit, become required, etc.

Using the report allows one more layer of filtering, so that the user only has to worry about what they need to complete at that point in time.

cheers

Kelly