New profile data in Metadata sheet

Hi, I have asked Smartsheet Technical Support this question several times, but never got a good answer.

What I want to do is simple:

1. Add a question “Objective” to my project intake form (I have done this)
  2. Have the answer on my intake sheet (so far so good)
  3. Have the answer in a new row on the Metadata sheet for every project (here I am stuck).

Can I add the row on the Metadata sheet manually? Smartsheet tech support suggests using the Global Update function, but that only has an option to insert a column, not a row.

If I use Add Profile data, I can add a row with Objective to the Metadata sheet, but what should I specify for the Value? If I leave Value blank, only the field name Objective is populated, and the user input from the intake form and intake sheet doesn't show.

I reviewed several help articles, but none explain this situation.

Please help.

Thank you!

Answers

• mdemul
    mdemul ✭✭✭✭

To add to this, I have tried following the steps in this Answer to a Community question:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/70945/is-there-an-option-to-add-new-metadata-to-select-existing-projects-using-the-ss-control-center

That didn't work at all. I think I'm going to stop trying things at this point until I hear from Smartsheet. I have also set up a ProDesk appointment, but the first available time is a month from today.

This should be a basic functionality. It should not take this much time to figure this out.

Thank you.

• Hi @mdemul

Were you able to sort this out? I agree that it sounds like you should use Add Profile Data, and leave the value section blank. This means the field should be added without a value initially.

Steps 3 and 4 in the other Community post detail how to update the Blueprint summary and then generate the Cell Links.

When you say the steps in that post didn't work at all, are you receiving an error or an incorrect result? If you're working with Support already on this, I would recommend sending screen captures of what you have tried, identifying the intended result and what you're currently seeing. They'll be able to work with you in a private channel where you can share more details.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now