How to create a Child Row, if the Parent Low is Linked

vjschmid
vjschmid ✭✭
edited 03/01/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I am rather new to SmartSheets.....

If I DataMesh or Cell Link Parent Name from a different Sheet - it won't let me create child rows below it.

Ideally I want the Child Row to Select from a Drop Down Menu and for naming consistency I want the Parent row to be linked from another sheet. However it won't let me create Child Rows if I link the Parent row. Am I doing something wrong?

Answers

• Basically, I need a drop down in the Primary Column, which doesn't seem possible?

Is there a work around? For naming consistency, I need them to be able to select from a list....

• Hi @vjschmid

You're correct - the Primary Column can only be set to Text/Number and cannot contain a dropdown list (see: Work With the Primary Column: Overview and Best Practices)

However you should be able to create a cell-link in a Parent row and still create Child Rows below. For example, you can see that I brought in "Test 1" through a cell-link:

Keep in mind that in order to indent a row, that row has to contain some sort of content. You won't be able to make a blank row a child row. (See: Hierarchy: Indent or Outdent Rows)

If you'd like help setting up your sheet, it would be useful to see screen captures of what you're looking to do, but please block out sensitive data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now