How to eliminate false counts on created date (auto-number deleted line items)

Hi there,

Thanks for helping with this. I'm creating a sheet summary formula that does a count of items created within a specific year. All good there. =COUNTIFS([C-Year]:[C-Year], "2022")

The wrinkle is that the sheet has autonumbering and so I'm getting a false count with 4 items that were created and then deleted. No new item has been added since then.

The deleted rows are counted. Trying to add detection/a criteria not to count, where the Primary Column is blank doesn't seem to work, likely because these rows aren't there.

Anyone else run into this issue with auto-numbered row sheet summaries?

Suggestions to fix?

It only seems to be counting the most recent deletions so if this self corrects when these deleted items aren't the last rows I can probably live with it.

Tags:

Best Answer

• AMB_L
    AMB_L ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Solved this myself with coffee and

=COUNTIFS([C-Year]:[C-Year], "2022", [Primary Column]:[Primary Column], <>"")

but still a bit spooked about having deleted content appear in stats because of a system generated ID number. Are there any suggested best practices around this?

Answers

• AMB_L
    AMB_L ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Solved this myself with coffee and

=COUNTIFS([C-Year]:[C-Year], "2022", [Primary Column]:[Primary Column], <>"")

but still a bit spooked about having deleted content appear in stats because of a system generated ID number. Are there any suggested best practices around this?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!