Anyone build a workaround to allow a click through from a SmartSheet to a fileshare

Dale Murphy
Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

... not to OneDrive or Google Drive or anything online, just to a local fileshare.

Our finance folks have a tool that builds analysis models. It needs to live on a local drive and produce output there.

Anyone have a creative solution that would allow a single click to take someone to such a location. (Assuming they were logged in and on the proper environment to begin.)

dm

Tags:

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @Dale Murphy ,

From what you explain it sounds like you'd like to export your Smartsheet data and make it accessible in your local drive. If so, this could be achieved by exporting your data into any of the available formats and then transferring that file into your local drive.

There currently isn't a way to selectively export specific row or column data from the document and the whole sheet will be exported. If you'd like to request this option, when you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

I hope this can be of help, however, if I have misinterpreted your query, please let me know how the data should be made available in your local drive and maybe include some captures of your current flow, making sure any sensitive data has been hidden or blurred. 

Cheers! 

Julio

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Julio S. No, my users want to be able to cell-link from a SmartSheet cell to a fileshare, instead of [only] linking to URLs. So an expanded of the options here.

The better solution is to use OneDrive (or whatever equivalent tool an organization uses). But some in our shop are slow to adopt that newer approach.

Thanks for the note Julio.

dm

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @Dale Murphy,

Gotcha!, so as you're pointing in order to hyperlink external data, you would need a URL and cell-linking would only work for Smartsheet items. If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest raising some feedback for our Product team with the link to the Form provided in my previous answer.

Cheers!

Julio