Trigger a daily automation if a record doesn't exist

Options
Ryan Levitz
Ryan Levitz ✭✭
edited 03/01/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi there,

Our warehouse leads use a smartsheet form to upload a document once a day, around noon. I want to have a notification sent to the manager of a warehouse if that warehouse didn't upload a file for that day.

The sheet that the form is built on looks like this:

DC is the warehouse number. The formula works for Manager, I just broke it to keep emails confidential.

For an example of desired output, Notice all of the DCs that uploaded an attachment today. DC# 900 is the only that didn't upload yet. At 5pm today, I'd like the automation to send a notification to the manager of DC# 900.

I'm at a loss on how to accomplish this one.

Thanks for the help

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ryan Levitz

I hope you're well and safe!

• Add a so-called Helper Column (checkbox type), and then add a Workflow with an Action to check the box when an attachment is added.
    • Add another Workflow with an Action looking at the helper column and if it's not checked, send the reminder.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ryan Levitz
    Options

@Andrée Starå That was my first idea, but the problem is that that row doesn't get added at all until the attachment is added via the form.

• Ryan Levitz
    Options

Am I on to something useful here?

I created a helper sheet. The primary lists all of the warehouses. TodaysDate is just TODAY(). SearchKey is Left( ,3) of the primary column, and then the date as text. I added that same SearchKey to the main sheet. The vlookup column uses vlookup to search the main sheet for that search key. The NO MATCH rows would be the ones that need the notification sent to them.

The next issue would come down to how to trigger TODAY() to update each day. Outside of someone manually opening this sheet each day, I'm stumped here too.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!