Duplicate Unique Client ID

I have created a Smart Sheet to help employees track when they connect with clients. I'd like to create a unique client ID for each client to help track different times the same client has been connected with. However, I cannot figure out how to alter the auto-number column to correlate the clients name with the same client ID for the second or third contact in different rows on the same sheet. Is there a way to format the auto-number function such that these clients name triggers duplicate the same client ID?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would want to hide the auto-number column and insert a text/number column with a formula along the lines of...

=INDEX([Auto-Number]:[Auto-Number], MATCH([Client Name]@row, [Client Name]:[Client Name], 0))

This is assuming that new entries are added at the bottom of the sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would want to hide the auto-number column and insert a text/number column with a formula along the lines of...

=INDEX([Auto-Number]:[Auto-Number], MATCH([Client Name]@row, [Client Name]:[Client Name], 0))

This is assuming that new entries are added at the bottom of the sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com