Can I show my users if they are logged in when using a form?

If my users are not logged in, I want them to enter their name in a "submitted by" field, but if they are logged in, then no problem.

Is there a way I can show them if they are logged in?

We are assigning tasks and want to know who assigned it. (I suppose I could create a form for each person and use a default value, there are less than ten people.)

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If they all have accounts, you could just set the form to require them to be logged in:

Otherwise, you can just mandate everybody fill in the Submitted By field by making it required. You can make it a contact type column with a drop down list of your 10 users.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to add a required field, because they will most likely be logged in, so I want to save the click for 90% of the interactions. And I don't want to force them to log in, because they appreciate entering a quick task while they are on the go.

Is there anything I could put on a dashboard that would tell them? Like maybe an object on the dashboard that requires the person be logged in, but then publish the dashboard and that object doesn't load, so they have a visual indicator?

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anything I could put on a dashboard that would tell them? Like maybe an object on the dashboard that requires the person be logged in, but then publish the dashboard and that object doesn't load, so they have a visual indicator?

That's an interesting outside the box idea! Cool if you get it to work like that.

I would think that if you're talking about mobile users, they'd keep the app logged in or log in with facial rec. I know mine stays logged in. I also keep my login in my browsers (my corp one in Chrome and Edge, my personal I use to test out behavior for an unlicensed user in Firefox.)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jeff Reisman Hi Jeff, just commenting on using Firefox for testing with your unlicensed user - you can also use a create a profile in Chrome for that purpose. The new chrome profile won't have your smartsheet token from the other profile, so you can be logged into multiple Smartsheet accounts in Chrome at the same time.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had thought about doing that, but I'm usually going too fast. Plus this way I have a "business need" for having Firefox installed, which gets me a pass from my colleagues from desktop support. 😜

Regards,

Jeff Reisman