Is it possible to create a heat map using conditional formatting?

Options
Sameer Karkhanis
Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 03/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Would like to create a heat map using conditional formatting, but without applying the same rules to every column one by one. I have 12 columns and 4 conditions (for green, yellow, orange, red color) based on cell values that need to be applied to all cells across 12 columns OR at least a easier way to reapply the conditions to each of the 12 columns (like a format painter). [Btw, I am aware of the fact that you can clone a rule in the conditional formatting dialog, but look for much easier and better options]

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately you can't say "If any cells in these five columns equals this value, make that cell red". Super pain. If there are any interdependencies between the cell entries, you may be able to leverage that to reduce your count of conditional formatting entries, but otherwise I think you're stuck.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your input @Lucas Rayala. Smartsheet is very column driven and so restricts a lot of functionality in the sheet.

It would have been awesome if a common criteria/condition could have been set on multiple columns (just like we can apply the formatting to multiple columns when setting up the conditional formatting)