Is it possible to make a field mandatory on a row update request?

I have a workflow that sends an update request to a row in a sheet. I need an update request because I need a specific row updated. Is there a way to make population of one of the fields on the update request mandatory?

Thanks much,

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrea Zenner

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Set up a Workflow that would continue to send another Update Request with information that they need to fill that field in.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå , yes, that workaround will work.

Now, do you have a solution for getting people to not just delete the reminder email? 😉

Thanks much,

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Apogee Enterprises

azenner@apog.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrea Zenner

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Haha! 🤣

Yes, As a matter of fact, I'm working on a system right now that turns off the lights each time the email is deleted and, of course also sends it back to the top, as a VIP, and sends another reminder through Smartsheet.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå Let me know when you have that "turning the lights off" feature! I could use that in so many areas! 😃 Thanks again for the assist!

Andrea Zenner

Apogee Enterprises

azenner@apog.com

• Marc Hauge
    Marc Hauge ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a more complete work around that allows the use of regular forms as update request. This solution requires zapier to work. It is slightly clunky but works well and solves the problem.

• @Marc Hauge The video you posting is saying that it does not exist. Is it still available somewhere? I am interested in how your workaround works.

• Marc Hauge
    Marc Hauge ✭✭✭✭✭

I deleted the project and video. Basically you create two identical sheets. One sheet is your main sheet and the other sheet captures the changes. The main sheet has a main submission form and the changes sheet would have the forms that capture the updates. Automation is set up in the main sheet to call the forms set up in the changes sheet. Those become your update request forms. Formula's are used to bring over the data from the changes sheet to the master sheet based on a common ID. I can produce a working version of this if you would like and another video. This works very well except for if you want to attach files in the update. There isn't a good way to files from the changes sheet to the master, but it is possible through the API most likely. That is getting a little more advanced. I can do that using an application called "Make" (Integromat)