Card View: New Cards Disappear Due to Hirearchy, Need Advice

Todd Lyon
Todd Lyon ✭✭✭
edited 03/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

We are managing a large multi-project delivery roll up board, where the preferred view is Card View. We would also like to start adding, removing and editing as needed in Card View. The challenge we face is this:

Projects are the top level row, with child / gchild rows as either deliverables or tasks. This board is highly dynamic in nature.

Deliverables / Tasks automatically take on the assignment to the Project through a formula that populates a helper column with the Project Name. The Project Name and Helper Column drive the Lane Name in Card View.

Our challenge is this:

• When the (+) New Card is selected and data is entered; It creates a Top Level (aka Project Level) task
  • It instantly disappears from the board when editing is complete
  • We need the capability to create a Child Record when adding a new card OR the ability to modify the hierarchy when entering a new item in the card.

Has anyone encountered this similar issue and found a scalable workaround?

Humbly,

Todd

Answers

• Todd Lyon
    Todd Lyon ✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome - The number of beverages I owe you based on your other posts that have saved my team and I likely requires a grid view to calculate; your skills are absolute ninja. if you have two min, could you look this post above over and give me your feedback? With much appreciation - Todd

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Starting with the card view screenshot above, are you able to provide a series of screenshots that shows exactly what steps you are taking to add the new card and then the final screenshot of the card missing?

I am unable to replicate this behavior, so I am not sure exactly where to start with troubleshooting. No card should ever disappear from the board completely. If anything it should move into the "Uncategorized" lane.

Also double check your filter and see how that is working (details on that may help as well).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com