Reports and Dashboards break if column is renamed in a Sheet

Options
Sameer Karkhanis
Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 03/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Reports and dashboards break if the columns in the source sheet are renamed :-(

It will be great if @smartsheet does not depend on the column names from the sheet when used in reports as it will then not break the reports and hence the widgets in the dashboards using those reports as source.

Comments

• Henry Park
    Options

Yes! This is the most frustrating thing when we have multiple team members working on a few sheets they own to consolidate information. Next thing you know they decided to rename a column and our reports and dashboards are broken.

• Mtmoroni
    Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

THIS! Allow a rename of a column in the source sheet changes any formula referencing that column. WHY though if a report depends on the column name does the report ask that you remove the old column and add the new column? It should be a 1 to 1 change.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

At Engage 2022, it was mentioned and announced that this enhancement is completed and fixed!! YEY!! Thanks Smartsheet for addressing this. 🙏

• Russell.Culp
    Options

@Sameer Karkhanis Have you gotten this to work yet? I remember the announcement and rewatched the portion where the feature was announced, but I cannot get it to work.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Russell.Culp When I tested it did not work for me. I renamed the column in the sheet but it did not reflect the same in the report and also the original column in the report displayed blank data after renaming (in the sheet). So I suppose there is some issue still there. Haven't tested the dashboard use case.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like the report and dashboards don't break but the data/content shows blank for the renamed column. Also the new name of the column does not show up in the report. Definitely needs a fix.