question about shared sheets and email addresses

We're using a Smartsheet to gather information at several sites. On each line is an email address to which an Update Request Form is being sent to ask that person to supply information about that line. Today was the first time we used it for real. Nineteen unique email addresses were used (some addresses were on multiple lines). I got an email from Smartsheet telling me that seven of them were not successful, but apparently the other twelve were.

I should note that the email addresses being used are all in one email domain belonging to a client of ours that is a very large company where employee turnover can be expected.

I'm wondering if these share-attempts failed because the email addresses are no longer valid, and the bounce-back emails the Smartsheet server received initiated the email to me telling me they failed. That's the crux of my question here - how does Smartsheet deal with invalid email addresses, and can they cause a notification that the sheet failed to be shared with those people?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KGF

I hope you're well and safe!

I've never seen an email like that. Strange!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots of the email(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KGF
    KGF ✭✭✭

Some additional info has come to light since my original post. Though the email said 7 recipients didn't get the email, it appears none of the 19 did, which pointed to a permissions issue, and we then realized this was a permissions issue. So our immediate problem is solved.

That does still leave the question about bounce-back messages for invalid email addresses. If a sheet is shared to an invalid email address, normally the receiving email server would send an error message back, but of course that bounce-back is coming to the SS server, not my email address. How does SS handle that event? Would the sharer be notified, and would that notification detail the exact problem?

• Has anyone found an answer to this? Specifically, if an email address is entered incorrectly into a form that collects data and an email is sent to them through a workflow, what does the bounce back email look like and where does it come from?