% completion, time tracking, and time cards

We are implementing SS and Resource Manager as our PPM tool with a primary focus on time tracking.

From what I understand, SS informs the time card function in Resource Manager of a team member's assigned task and the % allocation field to pre-populate their time card to reflect the task & time effort in the project schedule. When filling out their time card for the week, the team member can then "agree" with the time that SS pre-populated or can override it based on actuals.

My question is if the task in the schedule is currently scheduled for the current time card window, but 0% complete (i.e. not yet started), will SS still pre-populate the time card based on that the task was supposed to be started? Or will it only populate it based on the % complete?

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @Rob VanBrunt

At the moment, Resource Management won't take into consideration the % Complete field from Smartsheet when it comes to calculate time entries. Note as well that the time sync will apply to the whole project and not just specific tasks.

As you say, this number can be however affected by the Allocation % field. E.g a task meant to last for 1 day but that is allocated to a specific user or placeholder to 50% will show as 4 suggested hours for that particular user.

If you'd like to request the suggested time being also affected by the % Complete column or have the ability to only synchronize specific tasks, when you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here.  Thank you!

I hope this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio