Is a full Smartsheet license needed for viewers and minor contributors?

Caveat: My org doesn't have an enterprise license. We pay per for a license as and when needed.

Our scenario is pretty typical as follows:

Project Managers own the project sheets (obviously these folks have a license)

PMs then ask functional team members to update their progress on respective tasks in the sheet (automated mostly).

Directors, and other leaders view the reports/dashboards, etc.

My question -

Does every person in the above scenario need a Smartsheet license?

Thanks for your help.

PT

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @toolkit25

I hope you're well and safe!

It sounds like there are not that many that would require a license, but I'd need to know more about the specifics to know for sure.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @toolkit25

You can see what actions require licenses by looking for the * in the action title in this Help Article table: Permissions on sheets, reports, or workspaces

Note that this may be different if you're on a Pro plan (versus Business or Enterprise). Here's the article that goes through licenses and sharing on a Pro plan: Sharing and widgets in the Pro plan

Cheers,

Genevieve

• OK, that's helpful reading - thank you.

So presumably any editor, admin or owner would need a license? But a viewer would not?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @toolkit25

If you're on a Pro Plan, that's correct.

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, there are certain actions that unlicensed users can still take as Editors and Admins on Smartsheet items. The table in the article above will let you know what they can/can't do, broken down by specific actions.

It also depends on how your collaborators are working with Smartsheet. For example, you could provide users with View only access but still send them Update Requests which would allow them to update a row from a form in their email.

In order to identify if your collaborators need a license, we would need to know what action you'd like them to take, along with what plan type you're on.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve