moving smartsheets out of a folder and not breaking the links

Hi there everyone,

Just need to check something before I try it and break our smartsheet system...

...I have a folder containing various sheets and then various dashboards with views from those sheets, all self contained. I need to duplicate the folder for a new financial year, but we need to leave the information on the sheets that feed the views intact. For that reason, I intend to move those sheets outside of the folder into their own location, and have the existing views point to them, as well as the new views in the new folder, as well as a new folder next year, and the year after etc etc.

My question is, if I move those sheets to an alternative folder, will any links to those sheets break, or is smartsheet intelligent enough to know the sheets have moved and make sure links are amended to remain intact.

Kind regards

Rob

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob Wright

If you're referring to cell links within formulas or URL links to the sheets, you're good. Each sheet has a unique identifier that doesn't change when the sheet is renamed, moved around in, out, or between folders or workspaces. Just make sure the permissions remain intact. Moving a sheet between workspaces will change permissions on the sheet to match those of the new workspace, unless the sheet itself has been shared apart from the workspace. Make sense?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!