Smartsheet links long names

Is it possible to adjust an alias or properties somewhere, so that the actual URL link name for Smartsheet objects can be shortened? Although shifting to sidebar or vertical display of links in my browser helps, it would be better if I could remove some of the superfluous characters.

Answers

• Hi @palmcitytim

You could use a third party application to shorten URLs, for example something like Bitly.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• palmcitytim
    palmcitytim ✭✭✭✭

TY Genevieve, I use Bit.ly. Let me try my question again. The URL text is very long when loading a Smartsheet report, sheet, or any item. As such, I cannot easily tell by looking at my browser tabs what is what. Even if taking the time to Bit.ly all of them, it would still resolve to the long URL handle.

• Hi @palmcitytim

There currently isn't a way natively in Smartsheet to shorten the URL of a Smartsheet item. The beginning part of the URL will identify if the item is a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard, etc:

app.smartsheet.com/workspaces/xxx

or

app.smartsheet.com/sheets/xxx

However the details after cannot currently be shortened; this is what's used to identify that unique item out of all of the created items in Smartsheet. Please provide your feature request to the Product team through this form, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• palmcitytim
    palmcitytim ✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Done.