Can a Smartsheet form use two levels of conditional logic?

Options

Hello, I am wondering if a Smartsheet form can be modified to use two levels of logic. I'm not seeing how to make this work, but wanted to check.

Logic desired:

1. User selects a 'Lane of Business' option from a drop down
  2. Selecting any option from 'Lane of Business' forces the next question, 'High Level Support Needed' to appear
  3. However, the possible selections shown as options under 'High Level Support Needed' change based on the selection made for 'Lane of Business;

For example, under 'Lane of Business', user selects the option 'Support'

Under 'High Level Support' needed, user then sees the options: A, B, C

However, if user selected 'eCommerce' instead under 'Lane of Business', then under 'High Level Support Needed', they might see only options D, E, F available

Thank you,

Amy

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Amy Logan

I hope you're well and safe!

It's possible, but you need to define each option in different columns.

I developed a similar solution recently for a client, and there were a lot of options, so before you set it up in Smartsheet, I'd recommend documenting all the possibilities.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• bhealey77486
    Options

I am trying to use two levels of logic and it does not appear to be working. Can additional logic be built into the form or is only one over-arching logic allowed?

My first question leads the user to two different sections based on the answer. From there, I'd like to build in additional logic under each of the two sections so the user is only presented with questions based on their answers. I'm unsure of how to make the secondary logic work. I have it set up in the same manner as the first logic (that is working).

• Marvin Daniels
    Marvin Daniels ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know if this helps, but I've built an audit collector where the first selection on the form is audit type (enrollee, enrollee on COBRA, dependent, dependent on COBRA), which determines the questions that appear. Each audit has it's own unique combination of the 40+ questions.

Audit 1 could be questions 1-10, 15, 25, 40

Audit 2 could be questions 1-10, 30-35

Each of the question fields are set with default of pass. Auditor flips to fail as needed, but only the triggered questions for that audit type are recorded when the form is submitted, so on the sheet we just count all questions looking for pass/fail to calculate the score. All the blank questions are ignored as irrelevant for that particular audit.

This is working for us and doesn't require multiple logic levels, just one based on the audit type. Is there any way you can put the decision point into one column instead of two? If so, this method could work for you.

• bhealey77486
    Options

Here's what I am mean by having more than one form logic built into a form:

• Audit 1 is questions 1-10, 15, 25, 40
    • Audit 2 is questions 1-10, 30-35
    • But then within Audit 2, if question 30 is answered yes, it moves to question 35. If question 30 is answered no, it moves to question 31.
  • michelle.coleborn
    Options

I found a work around for two levels of logic. I created a duplicate field then created an update cell value automation that triggers when the second field has text entered to update the first field.

eg.

Is this the first review for the customer Yes/No

Logic if Yes show Review Period 1 - 12 months/6 Months

if No show Review Period 2 - 12 Months/6 Months

Any logic added to the Review period is then also based on the 1st question.

Create Automation that updates Review Period 1 when data is entered in Review Period 2

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå Is it possible to share a couple of screenshots of your solution or expand a bit more on 'define each option in a separate column'?

I have the exact same request from a teammate;

form includes two selections; each selection has 5 or more options; pending the outcome of the combined columns then the next step is clearly defined. It's just somehow getting smartsheet to recognize the selections and be able to direct accordingly.

Thanks !

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @PeggyLang

I would personally suggest using one Dropdown to list all possible combinations.

For example, instead of two values: Task = "Task 1" and Option = "Option 1", have Task & Option: "Task 1 - Option 1"

• Task 1 - Option 1
    • Task 1 - Option 2
    • Task 1 - Option 3
    • Task 1 - Option 4
    • Task 1 - Option 5
    • Task 2 - Option 1
    • Task 2 - Option 2
    • Task 2 - Option 3
    • Task 2 - Option 4
    • Task 2 - Option 5

... And so on. That will allow you to have 25 unique outcomes based on the combinations selected. If you need the values in separate columns in the sheet below, you could set up formulas or a change cell workflow to update the two separate columns.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jayme Reed
    Options

I am running into the same issue with building two paths and can only get the first path to work. I do have some questions that are only triggered based on a previous answer. Do I need to build out each possibility as there could be 10-20 different scenarios. If you can share a screenshot, please do.