Retain Excel line breaks through datashuttle

i do some data wrangling in Access and export the result into Excel. I then use a data shuttle to get the data into a smartsheet.

How do I have to format the Excel cells so that they retain the line break through the data shuttle? I don't care how the Excel looks, but i want line breaks in the smartsheet output

Answers

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When you say "line breaks" are you referring to text wrapping within a single cell?

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• TT 314
    TT 314 ✭✭

No. I don't mean wrap cells. i know how to do that.

Sometimes, you want a line break, i.e., force the text to start in a new line. This is useful if you want to add a list, which is often necessary since Smartsheet can't handle one-to-many relationships.

See this: In Excel, i can format a cell to look like this:

a. One Item

b. Another Item

c. yet Another Item

You do this by programing the text as "a. One item " & char (13) & "b. Another Item" & char(13) and so on. You can also use vbCtrLf for char(13).

When I pull this into a smartsheet using data shuttle, it will look like

a. One Itemb. Another Itemc. yet Another Item.

So, what I am asking is, what is the equivalent formatting character I have to add in a string for Smartsheet to achieve that.

I find it a little strange that Datashuttle can't handle such simple things and that I have to prepare my data wrangling such as if subsequent shuttling into smartsheet is the only thing I might want to do with the Excel.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

CHAR(10) is the line break in Smartsheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• TT 314
    TT 314 ✭✭

Thanks, Paul. I tried the string below, but it doesn't work. As you see, the line doesn't break after "me". Am I doing something wrong?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Once you have the line break in, you need to enable text wrapping.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com