Unable to add specific multiple actions to a workflow

Hello,

Every time I try to add another action for a specific condition to a workflow, I am receiving a dialogue box that other actions and conditions will be removed. There is no option to add another action or condition after the first one I set. I am trying to change cell value and record a date. Is this a bug? I tried different combinations of actions and this isn't happening for everything.

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Ketch Pablo

Happy to help!

The following Actions are so-called, Terminal Actions which means that you can't add anything after.

Terminal Actions = Clear cell, Change cell, Assign people, and Record a Date.

Depending on your structure/need, you wouldn't need multiple Workflow, only multiple Condition Paths in one Workflow.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ketch Pablo

I hope you're well and safe!

It's because you can't combine them. When used, the Change Cell or Record a date has to be the last Action.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ketch Pablo
    Ketch Pablo ✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

Thanks for your reply! Is there any reason why they can't be combined? Does that mean I need to have two separate workflows for these actions even if they're for the same conditions?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Ketch Pablo

Happy to help!

The following Actions are so-called, Terminal Actions which means that you can't add anything after.

Terminal Actions = Clear cell, Change cell, Assign people, and Record a Date.

Depending on your structure/need, you wouldn't need multiple Workflow, only multiple Condition Paths in one Workflow.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• To me this does not make sense. Why would this be created in such a way? How can I put in an enhancement request? Also, how can I achieve this, do I need to separate automations for this?

• DTK
    DTK ✭✭

This threat is a bit old, but to clarify, since I do want to change a cell, assign people, and record a date, this thread seems to be saying that I need to create 3 automations because all of them are unrelated terminal actions. Is that really true?

So for example, my automation triggers on status change, and if I want to set a new date for my "next action" date field, assign this next stage of the project to a specific user, and update my project risk field, I would need three flows for one path of action. Is that correct?

• No, they haven't fixed this yet.

All I wanted to do is have a line automatically reset each week. Clear one cell, Change another cell; simple workflow. I would be able to use Change a Cell for both, but Smartsheet also doesn't let you change symbols (even though it's a dropdown menu) which totally hamstrings the usefulness of symbols.

At this point, with the workaround proposed (and the 45 minutes I've already spent trying to find a solution), it would be far less work to reset the line manually.

Resetting the line manually means I have to remember it each week, totally defeating the purpose of any of this in the first place.

I'm just going to make an Outlook Reminder.