Data Shuttle adding blank rows

I have a data shuttle where it pulls data every time a file is loaded and adds a row. It works well except that it adds a blank row before the new data every time.

I've tried filters, but is there another way to prevent this from happening?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Steve,

Thanks for elaborating! Yes, it sounds like the attachment is exactly what's causing the blank row. That row is then "used" so even though the cells are blank, then new data coming in will want to populate a fresh, un-used row (unless you're merging data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Hi @millers150

I would suggest adding in a filter to your Data Shuttle configuration that ensures it's only pulling in rows that aren't blank.

Is it also possible you have a header row in the Excel file? If so, you can set your Data Shuttle workflow to start at row 2.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve, thank you for the response!

I believe I figured out what was happening. I wanted to be able to load an excel scorecard into the Smartsheet, have data shuttle pull the information and then have that excel file be attached to each row.

I think what happened was the Data Shuttle would see the file attached and count this as a "full row". It would then move on to the next row to populate the data. It looked like a blank row but had the attachment in it.

Row 1: Attachment 1

Row 2: Attachment 1 Information

Row 3: Attachment 2

Row 4: Attachment 2 Information

I'm not sure if there is a work around, but I have the teams just dragging the excel file to the first row for now to avoid getting the blank row.

Thanks

Steve

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Steve,

Thanks for elaborating! Yes, it sounds like the attachment is exactly what's causing the blank row. That row is then "used" so even though the cells are blank, then new data coming in will want to populate a fresh, un-used row (unless you're merging data).

Cheers,

Genevieve