Filtering with a formula, but stuck

Options

Hello, I'm trying to filter a summary sheet metric using the following formula but I keep getting "NOMATCH" or "UNPARSEABLE" depending on what I move around. The issue seems to be when I add the Country criteria. I want to filter to just United States and Canada:

=SUMIFS([Total employees]:[Total employees], [Country]:[Country], OR(CONTAINS("Canada", @cell),("United States", @cell)), [Department]:[Department], CONTAINS("Customer Fulfillment", @cell), Date:Date, AND(@cell >= DATE(2022, 1, 1), @cell <= DATE(2022, 3, 31)))

The Country column has a column formula applied to it:

=INDEX({Master Location Index - Country Range}, MATCH([Location]@row, {Master Location Index - Location Range}, 0), 0)

I've searched all over the community for examples similar to this and am not coming up with a solution.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @curiouslearner

A very small tweak to your formula is all that is needed. Both of the terms in your Country OR criteria need the CONTAINS function.

=SUMIFS([Total employees]:[Total employees], [Country]:[Country], OR(CONTAINS("Canada", @cell), CONTAINS("United States", @cell)), [Department]:[Department], CONTAINS("Customer Fulfillment", @cell), Date:Date, AND(@cell >= DATE(2022, 1, 1), @cell <= DATE(2022, 3, 31)))

Will that work for you?

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @curiouslearner

A very small tweak to your formula is all that is needed. Both of the terms in your Country OR criteria need the CONTAINS function.

=SUMIFS([Total employees]:[Total employees], [Country]:[Country], OR(CONTAINS("Canada", @cell), CONTAINS("United States", @cell)), [Department]:[Department], CONTAINS("Customer Fulfillment", @cell), Date:Date, AND(@cell >= DATE(2022, 1, 1), @cell <= DATE(2022, 3, 31)))

Will that work for you?

Kelly

• curiouslearner
    Options

Hi Kelly, thanks so much for your quick reply. I appreciate you!

This did not work initially, but combined with another thread I got it to work. I had to apply an "IFERROR" enclosure to the column formula for Country and combined with your fix above I have it working.

Thanks again.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!