Link Cell from Target sheet back to Source Sheet after Copied Row function

I created 2 sheet: Source and Target. I used the Copy Row function to copy the row from Source to Target once item was approved. All work. Now I need to be able to link the cell (from certain column) from Target back to Source (as Target cell may have updated data after copied the original data from Source in). Is there an automated way to do this, without having to link the cell individually? Please advise! Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Huong

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to do it automatically to the same columns, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Create helper columns and use Cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Huong
    Huong ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I was able to use VLOOKUP to update the cell in Source with updated value from the cell in Target. Thank you very much for your help!

• Huong
    Huong ✭✭

Hi,

I have a "Approved" column, which checked to indicate item was approved.

When it's approved, the row was copied from Source to Target sheet.

By using IF and VLOOKUP function below, I was able to update the cell in Source Sheet with the desired value from Target Sheet.

=IF(Approved@row = 1, VLOOKUP([Demand Tracker #]@row, {Link-Procurement All Columns}, 6, false))

However, when there’s no correspondence rows exist in the Target Sheet, then it returned an empty cell in Source Sheet – technically wiped out the values that were in the Source Sheet -- these cell in Source Sheet became blank as there were updated with empty cells from the Target Sheet).

How do I fix this?  Shouldn’t these rows’ values stay in-tact as the “Approved” condition was not met?  Please advise! Thank you!

Also, how do I apply the formula to the column so new rows can inherit the formula as well? Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Huong

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.