Restrict cell to email only

Sherry L
Sherry L ✭✭
edited 04/26/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way in an automation update request to be able to restrict a cell entry to emails only? For example: If I send a request that prompts the recipient to provide an updated email address for someone responsible for a project, can the sheet keep the recipient from entering anything that is not in the format of an email address in the specific cell?

I'm sure this is there but maybe I am missing any reference to how to do this. I see it has the option for dates only. Not that far of a leap, right? 🤔 Thanks for help in advance!

Answers

• Hi @Sherry L

There currently isn't a way to set field validation on a Text/Number field in an Update Request to ensure that the value entered is an email address.

However if your field is a Contact List field, you could set the values in the Column Properties then restrict the column to those specific Contacts. This would mean that the Update Request would only accept those specific contacts.

Alternatively you could use validation in Form, which would create new rows: Validate Information in Forms

Please provide your feedback to the Product team through this form, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now