Change Cell Value Automation/Workflow

Hi Community -

I feel like this is simple, but Im not sure how to make it happen inside of one automation. I keep making individual but I don't think that's good form.

On our newsletter sign-up form, we ask "Sector of Work" on a multi-select field. From those results I want it to add a tag in another column (change cell value). The tags are also a multi-select field.

Here is an example of the "Form Answer" to the corresponding tag (->) "Tag"

Academia -> AC-Ext Academic (also checks for edu email)

Graduate Student -> STU-Ext Grad (also checks for edu email)

Government -> IM-Govt

Heathcare -> IM-Health

News media -> IM-Media

Philanthropy -> IM-Phil

Is this possible in one workflow automation using otherwise? Or do you have to make them in separate automations?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Leslie Murray

Yes, with single select you just have 6 options.

In the workflow creation screen, click the plus sign above your first Condition block and select "Add a condition path". You can keep adding condition paths at this level of the workflow. Like formulas, Smartsheet automation works left to right, so it goes from one condition path to the next until it finds one that's true, and executes the Action below it. It does not then look at any more condition paths.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Leslie Murray

You can make one Automation with distinct condition paths for each Sector of work choice. However, if your users can select multiple entries for Sector of Work, you would need a condition path for each combination of values. That would add up to 63 condition paths to cover every combination of choices in order to set the Tag field correctly.

It's way easier to just make six automations.

Just make sure you turn this option OFF in the Change cell value Action in each automation.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Leslie Murray
    Leslie Murray ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, @Jeff Reisman

... What if the option is single select? Then the options would be less ( i think!)

Can I make an automation like this below for all 6 options together? I feel like I'm doing something wrong with otherwise as it doesn't allow me to add another condition.

(In reality, this is a two prong-problem where the other set I have like 60 tags to update to another row)

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Leslie Murray

Yes, with single select you just have 6 options.

In the workflow creation screen, click the plus sign above your first Condition block and select "Add a condition path". You can keep adding condition paths at this level of the workflow. Like formulas, Smartsheet automation works left to right, so it goes from one condition path to the next until it finds one that's true, and executes the Action below it. It does not then look at any more condition paths.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

• Leslie Murray
    Leslie Murray ✭✭✭✭

Ah! So simple! Thank you!!

• Leslie Murray
    Leslie Murray ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jeff Reisman or others that can help,

I finally got had time to starting to build these out, and I'm getting invalid work flow on my tests as its saying it's circular. I don't really understand where the issue is ... Perhaps these screenshots help... We have some workflows getting a slack in-between change cell value (without replace) and others that don't have slack but all are set up the same and becoming invalid. Should I not be using "Has any of"?

Thanks in advance!

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Leslie Murray

I'm sorry we don't use Slack here, I'm not even sure what it does or how that might affect your workflow.

Perhaps the fact that you don't specify a particular cell change in your trigger is causing this. It see your change cell action as a new change to the same row, so it would just keep running. Try indicating an unrelated field in your trigger that gets populated when new row entries come in. So the trigger would be something like:

When rows are added or changed, when Primary Column changes to any value...

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

• Leslie Murray
    Leslie Murray ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, @Jeff Reisman. I'm not getting immediate invalid alerts, so fingers crossed that was the trick to make the trigger more specific. thanks for your help!

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭

Is there a way with Change Cell Value, that it would update to the next recurring date?

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genesia With Change A Cell Value, you have to supply a specific value to change the cell to.

Record a Date automation will record the current date in your region to a cell. If your next recurring date is a set number of days from the current date, you could record the date in a helper date column, and then use that date to calculate your next recurring date.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!