Create parent rows

Is it possible to create a parent row on a smartsheet and not use the column formulas for that row?

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@JJMunoz

You can use an IF at the start of your formula to exclude parent rows. This one will work provided your parent rows don't have parent rows themselves. In the example, Tasks is the name of the column I'm using to check to see if it's a child or parent row:

=IF(COUNT(PARENT(Tasks@row)) > 0, here as your positive condition list your formula you want to use on just the child rows)

In English, if the count of parent rows for this row is greater than zero, then apply this other formula to this cell; otherwise, do nothing (we didn't give it any negative condition to use.)

My results - I just stuck a formula in there to give me the month number 4 months ahead of now:

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@JJMunoz

You can use an IF at the start of your formula to exclude parent rows. This one will work provided your parent rows don't have parent rows themselves. In the example, Tasks is the name of the column I'm using to check to see if it's a child or parent row:

=IF(COUNT(PARENT(Tasks@row)) > 0, here as your positive condition list your formula you want to use on just the child rows)

In English, if the count of parent rows for this row is greater than zero, then apply this other formula to this cell; otherwise, do nothing (we didn't give it any negative condition to use.)

My results - I just stuck a formula in there to give me the month number 4 months ahead of now:

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!