Workflow condition not working

Hello,

I am developing a workflow to check specific conditions and notify people about the result, however one specific condition is not working properly.

New rows are added to my table via form and every time a new row is added, the workflow should be triggered. I have a few helper columns to assist with building the checks I need for the workflow conditions. The issue I'm having in tis case is related to a helper column which has column formulas to check how many days there are between two dates fed from the form input. I also isolated this in a separate workflow to try to figure it out with no success.

So I expected it to work like this: If the difference between the two dates (form input) is less than 2 days, the workflow should automatically mail the person back with a customized message. I have tried this in two ways, subtracting the two dates (Dias uteis) and with "Yes/No" (Check Prazo), both did not work.

Am I doing something wrong?

I appreciate any help.

PS: Some of the wording is in Portuguese. :)

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that the "Yes/No"/number of days bit is being populated AFTER the row is added. Since technically the field is blank when the row is added, it will not trigger.

Try changing your trigger to be set when rows are added OR CHANGED and where the field changes to "NO". Then remove the condition.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• C.M.
    C.M. ✭✭
    edited 05/09/22

@Paul Newcome I have changed the trigger as you mentioned but now the workflow is being triggered for the entire sheet, even the older rows, because the formula is always updating, so I'm afraid this won't solve the issue.

Perhaps working with a hourly workflow with only added rows might be an option?

Edit: Well, it seems my workflow can only run "when triggered", so I'm still looking for another option.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In your trigger did you specify the "Yes/No" field?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• C.M.
    C.M. ✭✭

Yes, I changed the trigger to be set when rows are added OR CHANGED and where the field changes to "NO", and removed the condition.

This started triggering the workflow every time I saved the sheet because the formulas are updated and it seems to understand it as a new trigger.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that what you wanted though? Any time the "Yes/No" column was "No" it should alert the person?

This is in your original post:

"If the difference between the two dates (form input) is less than 2 days, the workflow should automatically mail the person back with a customized message."

10xViz.com

• C.M.
    C.M. ✭✭

On my previous comment I mentioned the problem with that is the workflow is now being triggered for the entire sheet, even the older rows that had been already used, because the formula is always updating.

So for instance, a new row is added via form, then the formulas are updated, this triggers the workflow but it runs for the entire sheet, not only the newly added row.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I read that part, but which formulas are updating? The "Yes/No" formula? What is that formula exactly?

10xViz.com

• C.M.
    C.M. ✭✭

Correct, the "Yes/No" formula is updating.

I need to compare two dates and the result will be a criteria for my workflow. So for example, a new row is added with two date fields, one is today and the other is tomorrow, therefore the result will be 1 (one day difference). Then the workflow must read this information, and I need it to check if this result is less than 2, if this is the case, the workflow must notify a person with a customized message, otherwise it should take a different action, which would be assign the task to someone.

The "Yes/No" formula is a helper column I created to try make the workflow work (if the difference between the dates is less than 2 it returns "Yes", otherwise it returns "No"), but it is not really necessary if the workflow could work with a condition such as below.