data synchronisation issues
Context: I have recently started testing Smartsheet, though the organisation I have joined has some established uses. So I am in a familiarisation and test phase.
- Talking to another user recently, he expressed concern about the Smartsheet user experience and data integrity / synchronisation. He had updated a cell in a shared project sheet. Later, someone asked him why he had not updated the cell. When he checked the sheet, his content had been overwritten by another team member asking for an update.
- I have been experimenting with inviting myself under a different email address to a sheet, so I am interacting with the sheet as two different users on three different platforms: Edge (user2), Chrome (user1), and Android app (user1).
- I have noticed that conversations do not synchronise to the app unless I force close and reopen the app. However conversations do synchronise between Edge and Chrome in real time.
- Then I tried renaming a task in Chrome. This did not synchronise from Chrome to Edge or Android initially. It took 2 minutes to register the change. I refreshed Edge regularly during that wait time, but the change actually occurred without a refresh. The Android app required a force close to refresh.
- Then I tried renaming the details of a task. I added text to the end of the existing text thus: first Chrome: blah blah blah, then Edge: yada yada yada. I watched both instances over a few minutes and nothing changed until I refreshed Chrome. The first edit blah blah blah was overwritten by the later edit yada yada yada. This lack of synchronisation and integrity explains my colleague's experience.
Does Smartsheet have a response to this? Isn't the whole point of Smartsheet to share data? If there's no sharing integrity then what's the point? Take a look at Google Sheets to see real time collaboration in a worksheet environment, and Slack, WhatsApp, etc. for real time collaboration in a conversation environment. Smartsheet claims to combine the two, but from my testing doesn't seem to do either well.
Is there a setting that I haven't found to get real time synchronisation?