Create a Chart based on Multi-Select Dropdown

Hello!

I have two columns called "Customer" & "Feature Request". "Feature Request" is a multi-select dropdown...essentially anytime a customer asked for a feature I toss in the FR# in there to track. The same FR# can show up for each customer. Been youtubeing/reading to death but cant figure out how. The auto-chart selection mechanic isnt telling me why it wont work.

Chart - Pie/Donut Chart showing how many times each FR is being asked (if 5 out of 10 customers asked for FR123 then show 5 in the pie chart)...essentially showing which FRs are being asked about the most.

If I have 20 FRs, I want the chart to proportionally show the most requested items as larger slices/%'s.

Answers

• Hi @degd

Chart Widgets need numerical data in order to map the information into bars/pie charts, etc.

What I would do in this instance is have a helper "metric" sheet which will be the source for your chart. Down one column, in a single cell each, list out each individual Feature Number. Let's call this "Feature Number".

Then in a column next to this, use a cross-sheet formula to COUNT how many times that specific number was selected in your source sheet:

=COUNTIF({Feature Request Column}, HAS(@cell, [Feature Number]@row)

See: Cross-sheet formulas , COUNTIF Function , and HAS Function

Let me know if it would be helpful to see a screen capture example of how to set this up and I'd be happy to explain further.

This will allow you to have a metric sheet where each individual selection has an associated number. Then you can use the entire sheet as a source for a Pie Chart, which will show you the percents or the values, depending on what you'd prefer.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now