Reloading a form Using a URL query string to specify different default values-Works only two times

hi

I am using URL query string to pre populate three fields on my form. It works like a charm and the form opens up with it the three fields filled in. The user completes the rest of the form and hits submit. The form is then suppose to re-load again for a second entry by the same user, and that works just fine too. The three fields are pre-populated.

But for some reason when the form is reloaded the THIRD time , the three fields are blank !

Is there a limit on how many times we can reload the same query?!???

Regards

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The form is actually NOT supposed to reload with the fields populated for the second time. That part is actually a bug. I discovered this a while back and had a bit of conversation with Support where they confirmed this.

I asked if they could find the bug that was causing it to reload the way we want the second time and replicate it. Haha.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RSethi

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help when the bug is fixed.

• I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• RSethi
    RSethi ✭✭

Hi Paul,

Now I wish the bug would actually stay....lol. It would have worked perfectly for what I am trying to do.

Hi andree,

I think you had sent me the two form solution before but the issue with that is that the second row ( and all the other rows after the main form is submitted) are not really linked. Meaning if I am collecting the professors name on the main form and then on the second form I am collect all the classes they are teaching, the rows with the classes do not have the professors name.

What I am afraid of is, say what if two different professors start entering their class information. I would have no way of knowing who is teaching which class. Smartsheet just simply enters one row at a time in the order it receives. So it might end up being row one with all the professors info,row 2 with that professors one's 1st class, third row could be the second professors info, 4th row could be again prof one's 2nd class, etc etc. This is kinda hard to explain here. Or am I missing something?

I really want the bug back....lol

Regards

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • JCardinal
    JCardinal ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding that it still only pre-populates data two times. So far my solution is to have form instructions that say to hit the browser's back button until they see a url with "?First%20Name=" in it and then refresh the page. Certainly not ideal.

@RSethi @Paul Newcome - Did either of you happen to find another solution?

Joanna Cardinal (she, her, hers)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JCardinal Unfortunately not. Even getting it to reload once is considered a "bug".

• Love how this is still an issue. Thought it was desirable behavior (which it should certainly be, if the link that sent the user to the form included URL queries for autofilling), and then discovered, no, it's not.

I look forward to making my employees click the url over and over and over as opposed to just reloading the form and scanning the new entries with a scan gun. /s