Question on user roles

I am wanting to give a number of unlicensed people on the team access to a sheet so they can see the task assigned to them, upload a document, make a comment, or mark the progress of the row.

I DO NOT want them to have access to add or delete a row or alter anything else.

I tried the Commenter access, Editor--can share, and locking columns.

None of the above works. I appreciate any assistance!

Lainie Franklin

Answers

• Hi @Lainie Franklin

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, then it sounds like the Commenter permissions would be the closest to what you're looking to do.

Users with Commenter permissions will not be able to edit, delete, or create any rows. The only editing ability they have would be to add a Comment or upload an Attachment. Otherwise, they're just a Viewer of the Sheet.

Here's a table with a breakdown of Smartsheet Sharing Permissions.

They would need to "mark the progress" of the row by adding a comment to that row, since they won't be able to make any updates to the cells in the grid of the sheet. (Giving any sort of permissions to edit cells would also give permissions to delete/add rows).

When you say that it didn't work, would you be able to be more specific?

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Lainie Franklin
    Lainie Franklin ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick response. I think the reason "it didn't work" was I was trying to limit someone's ability to delete a row but allow them to indicate the progress of the row.

Your answer is very helpful.

I appreciate you!

Lainie Franklin

• No problem! Let me know if I can clarify anything else. 🙂

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now