Automation: How to setup a recurring reminder based on a date in a cell in the sheet?

Hi folks!

I want to setup a reminder automation. I want this automation to to trigger each week from a date in a cell in the sheet.

So, if the date in the cell is 6/1/22, the automation should trigger on 6/8/22, 6/15/22, 6/22/22, etc...

The only option I see for recurrence is to have it recur on a particular day of the week, each week starting on 6/1. But that isn't quite what I need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@twarner

6/1/22 is a Wednesday. If you set up the workflow as so:

Then it's going to repeat on 06/01, 06/08, 06/15, 06/22, which are all Wednesdays. So I'm not sure what exactly the problem would be with allowing it to specify Wednesday. Can you elaborate any on the problem with allowing it to work like this?

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@twarner

I think I know what your problem is. You don't want to specify the date for it to start in the automation but instead via a date entered on the sheet. Try setting something up like this:

Action Date has a formula of:

=[Action Complete Date]@row + 7

Then you set up an Automation which will trigger once on the date in the Action Date column when it's reached. Add an additional Action to the workflow where it will record a date (today's date) in the Action Complete Date column when it's finished running. That will keep the Action Date updating to 7 more days out each time it runs.

When you want to add a new row and get it to start on a particular date, you'll want to manually record an Action Complete Date that is 7 days before you want to to actually start so that the Action Date column will have the correct date to trigger it when it's supposed to start.