Column Filters

Hello All

I run a residential construction company and have almost every aspect of the business running through Smartsheet.

This has led to the template for our 'standard home' now containing 105 columns!

The bulk of these are for calculations and automation, and are only required for specific processes when creating a new project.

I have created a instruction list for setting up a new job, and this requires having only certain columns showing, currently we are hiding the unused columns. The problem with this is you then have to 'unhide all columns' when you want to see one again, and then hide them all again.

Ideally, i would love a 'column filter' which would allow me to preset views for working in.

I know reports look like the answer, but they are limited to not allowing for a row to be added, and also the conditional formatting does not update immediately which makes them less visual to work in.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to how i can work around this issue?

Answers

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/19/22

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Good afternoon, thank you for your response

I did watch a seminar yesterday for dynamic view, but it appeared to just be a glorified report. This also requires us to upgrade to the next plan level which is a big jump up in licensing costs.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/19/22

Hi @Cameron Yule

I hope you're well and safe!

Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

To add to Frank's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Split out the sheet into multiple sheets except for the information that has to be in the main sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you Andree

All the data is relevant to certain lines, and if you delete an item from a timeline (IE: bathroom does not have a bath).

Deleting the bath will:

Remove the bath from the merchant quote list

Remove the bath details from the plumbing specification report

Delete the cost of the bath from the projects expenses forcast.

Delete the bath and all upgrade options from the app i have created

Delete the bath from the fittings order form

Delete the booking for both the plumber and builder to install the bath

If i was to separate these items into sheets, i would need to keep hunting through the sheets to find the broken links, which would be time consuming and likely to be missed.

For now , i will try highlighting the columns in colours so they are easier to identify at a glance

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have sheets that have a lot of hidden columns as well. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the ability to search for a column and if it's hidden it becomes un-hidden when it's searched for and found. Such a PAIN trying to remember which columns to hide again after you un-hide them all.