FORM Dropdown lists with filtering capability

Hello!

I hope you can help me with this, since i don't know either if it is something that would be possible to achieve in Smartsheet, in the first place. I am trying to create a form with dropdown lists that should work this way:

The following is a part of a list with over 1000 rows that i will have to import in smartsheet from excel to populate the dropdown lists

And this will be the form structure

What i would like to achieve is that if the user selects "Sales Operations" from the "Department" Column, the only value shown under the "Job Function" dropdown list will be "Sales", than "Profile Name" will have the two choices "Sales Operations Associate IV, Sales Operations Analyst III" and so on.

Just as it happens with the built in Excel filters that updates the values on the entire row

Any idea how to do that? :/

Many thanks!

Federico

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @FedericoS

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use a combination of the Form Logic feature and multiple so-called helper columns for the different options.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thank you for the response, i hope you are well and safe too!

From what i could experiment the main problem would be that it is not possible to insert a function in a dropdown list of the form so they can dinamically sort choices with a filter, but creating a field for all the combination and manually set their logic, is it correct?

If i misinterpreted your advice, could you set me straight?

Many thanks

Federico

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@FedericoS

Happy to help!

Yes, you're correct. You'd need to add a so-called helper column for each "level" of choices for it to work.

Something like this.

Selection 1, Letter, Number

• Letter, A, B, C
    • Number, 1, 2, 3

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå,

thank you, there are to many options to adopt this solution so i think i will build some kind of workflow that sends updates from the users on shared sheets to a centralized one.

Thanks again for your help

Federico

• I'm really dissapointed you didn't get a good answer for this from the community. This seems like an extremly usful feautre if there was and easy way to implement it. I don't know what 'so-called helper column' means, so maybe help with that?