Request an Update

Hi I'm using the "Request an Update" function in automation and this works ok, I've noticed though that due to no fields being mandatory that a user can just submit the form without making any changes. The snag here is that I have another automation function setup based on a row change but this won't fire if a user submits the form without making a change.

Q1 - Is there a way to make at least one item on a "Request an Update" mandatory, or

Q2 - is there a way to to get a row change if the user submits the "Request an Update" form without making any chnages.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Newbeetle

There currently isn't a way to make a field in an Update Request mandatory. In the instance that a user didn't make any changes, the form will ask them to confirm this was intentional before submission:

Then, if the user clicks "Submit Update", you'll get an email letting you know that no changes were made:

However if they do submit this without any changes, then no, there won't be a way to update the row to trigger another automation.

What I would suggest doing is set up a checkbox column at the very beginning of your sheet, perhaps titled "Update Received", and ask your users to check this box whether or not they make any other changes. Then you could use this checkbox as the trigger for your next automation.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Newbeetle

There currently isn't a way to make a field in an Update Request mandatory. In the instance that a user didn't make any changes, the form will ask them to confirm this was intentional before submission:

Then, if the user clicks "Submit Update", you'll get an email letting you know that no changes were made:

However if they do submit this without any changes, then no, there won't be a way to update the row to trigger another automation.

What I would suggest doing is set up a checkbox column at the very beginning of your sheet, perhaps titled "Update Received", and ask your users to check this box whether or not they make any other changes. Then you could use this checkbox as the trigger for your next automation.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for the advice, I setup up automation so if any one of the fields changs in the update request, a date is added to a column. Where no changes are made this field stays blank and then each week the request is automatically resent until a change is made, or the user confirms by selection there are no changes to make.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!