Conditionals to create formatting in modified cells

Hello,

I have a sheet in which I created a gantt with activities, I have established the dependencies, that same sheet will be used for multiple projects by my co-workers, in which they only need to modify the dates but so that the dependencies are not eliminated I have left it configured some simulated dates, but now that my colleagues have begun to fill in real data, I need them not to confuse the dates that I have left configured with the ones that they are going to set, I would like that as they fill in the dates, they are colored in any color so that my colleagues identify that the highlighted dates are the ones they are recently placing and the dates that are blank are the ones I left.

I already tried it with the conditionals but they modify the rows but not the columns. I would appreciate if someone help me please!

Answers

• Hi @Lizbet

Will you be changing data in these rows as well?

What I would do in this instance is have a Modified By system column in the sheet. Then I would set up Conditional Formatting so that if the row is modified by anyone other than myself, it highlights the Dates as a specific colour.

Here's a screen capture of what my Conditional Formatting would look like, if that helps!

Keep in mind this will change the colour even if someone updates a Task Name or another cell on that row, so it may not be the best indicator.

Another option would be to use an Automated Workflow so that when a Date is changed it Checks a Box (such as an "Updated Date" column you set up in the sheet). Then you can base the formatting off of this checkbox instead!

Let me know if this would work for you. If not, I'd be happy to help think of other solutions.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now