I cannot figure out how to do this and if there is a way - Learning Smartsheet

TAW
TAW ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi All.

I'm learning smartsheet and there is so much online that is very overwhelming. I would like to ask for some help please. How can I:

• 1. Figure out if the ‘assigned to’ of a project has made an update. We can see who is the last person that made an edit to the row (even me as the admin) but what if I want to see when is the last time the 'assigned to' specifically made an update and when? Is there another way rather than going to check 'view history cell"?
  • 2. If this 'assigned to' have not made any updates, can we put a trigger to make sure they agree the data is correct? maybe like a button that they confirm even if they haven't made any updates, the data is still correct? A sort of validation that the content is still valid and correct.

Thank you very much

Answers

• Hi

As for 1. Consider this two options, or maybe work with both of them.

• Add two new columns to the sheet where the assigned to will make changes. Edit first column type to Auto-Number/System and select "Modified By" as the system generated input. Edit second column type also to Auto Number/System and select "Modified (Date)" as the system generated input. Each time someone makes a change on a row, the system will automatically populate these two columns with the email of the person who made the change and the date when it happened.
    • Create a automated workflow. Select trigger "When rows are changed" for any filed. Add condition where the changes are being made by the specific "assign to" person. Add an alert to notify you by email when any changes are made to the sheet.

For your 2nd question it sounds you need to create an approval request workflow. This is also done using the automation function. You can check how to do this on this link. https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/approval-requests.

Hope this helps.

Antonio

• Hi,

You can add two "auto number/system" columns to your sheet: One with "modified by", and another "modified (when)".

On top of that, or instead, you can generate an workflow where you get notified every time a specific "assigned to" person makes changes on your sheet. The trigger should be when rows are changed and the condition is a filter on a "assigned to" column. The alert should be an email sent to you every time a change is made that fits the filter condition.

For your second question you need to generate an approval request workflow. Take a look at this page where it is explained nicely. Approval Requests | Smartsheet Learning Center

Hope it helps,

Antonio

• TAW
    TAW ✭✭

Thank you so very much Antonio.