Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Freeze Row

Sameer Karkhanis
Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Enhancement request to add capability to freeze row (like freeze column)

Tags:
387 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

We love this idea! We are working on new freeze row and freeze column capabilities as part of our long-term planned enhancements for the grid experience.

Comments

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve for the update on this idea and hope it will be helpful to the Smartsheet community.

• I would love to see a freeze panes function for rows, especially when you have a project management spreadsheet with a lot of information in the top rows. It would be nice to keep that stationary while working on the rest of the file.

• Adriane Price
    Adriane Price ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to the enhancement, to be able to freeze columns or rows.

Adriane

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to have the feature of either hiding rows and/or freezing them so in large data sets, it is easier to scroll down to the end of the sheet while keeping some of the top rows still visible. We have more than 80 project trackers for one team (MEC Build) and it would be amazing to have this feature for our work.

Ipshita Mukherjee

• KCam
    KCam ✭✭✭

Yes please! Could you let us know when Freeze Rows is available? Also a "how to use this sheet" near the title would be helpful. Non-savvy Smartsheet users really struggle.

• J Lin
    J Lin ✭✭

Is there an estimate of when freeze row might become available/released?

Currently in building a tool suite for my team, and one of the biggest criticisms my team has on the functionality was the inability to freeze rows. Understandably that sentiment comes from it being a fundamental feature in MS and Google.

Please!!

• The fact that this isn't a standard feature is mind boggling. When do we think this will be released? I'm tempted to have my PM's across 8 companies go to another tool simply because we can't freeze the top portion of the spreadsheet to keep things organized while scrolling through project plans without the need to go all the way back to the top to see what that custom column header was...

This has been a feature request since 2015 in the old forums... It's 8 years later and still nothing. If this isn't going to be released soon, we're taking our business elsewhere.

• I agree with the comments above. This is my work around for this given scenario. I think it can be used for other use cases as well.

I was looking for a way to provide a total number on the 1st row and be able to sort the data without having the total row also being sorted.

The way work around is making the 1st row the parent. When you sort the rows, only the child rows sort. The parent row remains in place. This makes the parent row the perfect candidate as the TOTAL row.

This is what I did:

The 1st row is the TOTAL row. All other rows are child rows to this - need to indent. You can have multiple child levels -- just double check your calculations formulas.

Columns 1 and 2 contain information about each row. I had cost center and cost center number. The other columns are numbers that need to be totaled or use for calculations.

To total the rows, use the formula of "=sum(children())" on the TOTAL row (1st row) of the column you want to total. You can use other formulas such as average etc.

This solution allows your the flexibility to sort without messing up the TOTALs. You can add as many child rows and the formula still works.

I do this for budget / forecast / actual and it works pretty good.

• Agree! This would be work-life changing!

• If commenting would help prioritize this request in the future roadmap :) I am here to contribute!

• If commenting would help prioritize this request in the future roadmap :) I am here to contribute! (2x)

Does Smartsheet team have a date for this implementation?