is there a way to generate a single document from multiple rows on a single sheet?

damon.tackett
damon.tackett ✭✭✭
edited 06/15/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to find a way to generate an invoice from my smartsheet without downloading an "invoice template" as we have a specific invoice format my company uses.

I would like to be able to do it from a single sheet, or is there a way to generate a report that will transpose paste the information similar to what you can do with excel?

I know I can export the sheet or report to excel and transpose it there, but I am trying to keep it all within Smartsheet.

Answers

• SMullen
    SMullen ✭✭✭

Hi Damon.

Have you tried the Document Builder? It is accessible from the Row Menu titled Generate Documents...

An overview of the steps: 1) Convert your company invoice into a fillable PDF; 2) Import it into the Document Builder; 3) Map your sheet column titles to the appropriate form fields; 4) Save; 5) Preview & Run; 6) Email the completed form to the recipient and/or attach it to the row.

You will be able to populate that fillable company invoice with row data and store it all in one sheet.

Note: It may seem tedious at the beginning when converting the document to a fillable pdf with the correct formatting (I used Adobe and had to do several iterations) and then mapping the fields but once done, it will be worth the effort.

Link to Document Builder detailed instructions: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-advanced/document-builder

Hope this helps! 😀

Sheila

• @SMullen Good morning Sheila

I have used the Document Builder and actually love that tool. The problem I am running into is that on our smartsheet every ROW is an invoice item. So the mapping doesn't do what I need because it maps by columns.

as an example, my columns might be "Name", "License#" and "CompanyID" but my Row reflect what I want listed on the invoice:

Bob's Builders, BB22051, 22533

Tom's Townhomes, TT25322, 55361

Sally's Shesheds, SS55453, 63431

(sorry....i have a thing for alliteration...lol)

each company and their info needs to be listed on the invoice. Also each row has additional information i need but not for the invoicing purposes. I can figure out how to map ONE company's information but not all of them.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @damon.tackett

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Sheila's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Collect/reference all the values in one row on the same sheet or use a so-called helper sheet to collect the values and use that together with the Document Builder feature.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.