Help with =IF(NOT(ISBLANK formula?

Emerald
Emerald
edited 06/20/22 in Smartsheet Basics

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([1st Contact Attempt Method]@row)), 1, "")

I created a formula to count a non-blank text field then to add "1" to the Total Number of Contact Attempts Column cell and its working.

How do I modify to the formula to add the 2nd Contact Attempt and the 3rd Contact Attempt to the Total Number of Contact Attempts Column where I placed the formula?

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Emerald

As I showed in my response to your earlier question, just add them together. BUT, you have to change your negative condition, because if the field ISBLANK, by adding a blank space instead of 1, you're converting the cell value to text, and you can't use math on text.

Try just not specifying a negative condition in the IFs. This should evaluate to nothing at all if the contact method cell is blank. Then add all 3 formulas together:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([1st Contact Attempt Method]@row)), 1) + IF(NOT(ISBLANK([2nd Contact Attempt Method]@row)), 1) + IF(NOT(ISBLANK([3rd Contact Attempt Method]@row)), 1)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a helpful example of how the results differ between using the " " as the negative condition and using no negative condition. In my Column called CountifsCol, I'm adding the formula result in the TypeB column to the numeric values in TypeC and Newish columns. In the top row, the formula result is a numeric 1 in TypeB, so the system adds the three cell values together to get 10. In the middle row, you see that my formula results in " ", thereby changing the TypeB column to a text value (even though it's blank,) resulting in the addition formula in CountifsCol column treating all three cells as text and concatenating the values into a text value of "63" instead of adding them up to 9. In the bottom row, there's no value at all in TypeB column, so the system just adds the other two numeric values together to get 9.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!