Hiding Or Removing Duplicates In a Report

Options
Muhammad
Muhammad ✭✭
edited 06/23/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all!

I have a report on a sheet that has many duplicate values, and for the sake of nice presentation I would like them hidden. To further explain my situation, I have a sheet I am referencing that has tasks, days to complete, the week of completion of these tasks, and finally the avg days to complete a task per week. What I want this report to pull is simply the week of completion along with its corresponding average days to complete a task per week. I have been successful in that I was able to pull the two columns, and group them by week, however since there are multiple tasks, the rows are repeated over and over again. What I want is to filter it such that only once occurrence of any given week appears, this way I can show clearly and simply the week, and the avg for that week. I'll link some screen shots down below of what my report and sheet look like. Thank you all in advance for any and all help!

This is a screenshot of the sheet:

This is a screen shot of the report:

This is ideally how I would like it to look

Best regards,

Muhammad

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Muhammad

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd need to add a so-called helper column in the sheet(s) that checks for duplicates and then reference it in the Report Builder.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Muhammad

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd need to add a so-called helper column in the sheet(s) that checks for duplicates and then reference it in the Report Builder.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• browning.m
    Options

Hi Andrée Starå, I created a helper column to identify the repeated values. How can I reference it on a Report?

• Chris E.
    Chris E. ✭✭✭
    Options

This is absolutely frustrating and infuriating! I am beyond baffled at how this has not been addressed in reports. I could have coded this in the 6th grade as a simple filter option. Pulling data from multiple Smartsheets into a single report is only a useful tool if we are able to do some of the most basic and fundamental aspects of reproting data.......SUCH AS REMOVING DUPLICATES.....without having to spend hours creating nonsensicle helper columns, divising complicated alogithms, and wasting our time on something that should have been incorporated as a foundation component this feature.

What is wosre is this has been called out by multiple users, myself included, and by direct communication with members of Smartsheet and it is still not addressed. I am actively looking for a better option for my organization as literally every one of my requests for improvements have been ignored or I am told that We will have to spend TENS of THOUSANDS of more dollars to have acces to this or similar features. That is a fine way to treat one of, if not your biggest smartheet client.

Perpetually dissapointed with this product and company!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!