Parent Child Conditional Formatting

Options

Hi,

I would like conditional formatting to automatically apply to all child rows of a formatted parent row. Is that possible? If yes, how do I set that up?

Example: Conditional Formatting turns the parent row row yellow/with blue font if the parent row contains the word Mailing. Child Rows are named Wave 1, Wave 2, Wave 3 etc. They do not contain the word mailing, but I would like the conditional formatting to apply to them same as it applies to the parent row because of their parent/child relationship.

Thank you,

Jodi

Best Answer

• Jodi Mackie
    Jodi Mackie ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

I don't know if if was the most elegant work around but from your idea, I added a column to the end which I later hid and used =PARENT([NAME COLUMN ]@row) as a column formula in the new row. From there I just expanded the parameters of the conditional formatting rule to include this new column. This seems to cover all the bases.

Thank you,

Jodi

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/24/22
    Options

Hi @Jodi Mackie

I hope you're well and safe!

The easiest method would be to populate the Parent Cell in the Children Cells, which would trigger the Conditional Logic for the Parent and Children rows.

Try something like this.

=PARENT()

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jodi Mackie
    Jodi Mackie ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

I don't know if if was the most elegant work around but from your idea, I added a column to the end which I later hid and used =PARENT([NAME COLUMN ]@row) as a column formula in the new row. From there I just expanded the parameters of the conditional formatting rule to include this new column. This seems to cover all the bases.

Thank you,

Jodi

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jodi Mackie

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!