Updating rows with Zapier

Options
LeAndre P
LeAndre P ✭✭
edited 07/06/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I have to two identical sheets and would like to have the (child sheet) or sheetB we'll call it for the purpose of the exercise, update whenever changes are made to the parent sheet or sheetA. Currently, I am executing this task manually by going to sheetB and linking the rows back to sheetA. What I would like to do is create a Zap with Zapier to automate this action when triggered by changes made to the sheetA. Unfortunately, the problem I am having begins when I tried mapping the data between the two sheets which requires a "RowID" to complete the mapping process. Regrettably, there isn’t a "RowID" option to select. Is it possible to achieve this at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @LeAndre P

I haven't personally used Zapier so I can't speak to the configuration, however could you potentially use a Report or a sheet with formulas to achieve what you're looking to do?

A Report will automatically update as you update the source sheet, and you can make changes in a Report which will then update the underlying sheet as well. (See: Build a row report)

I also remember you posted recently about using an INDEX(MATCH type of formula. This can automatically link information from one sheet to another (using a unique ID in the Match portion) so as you add new rows to both sheets it will grab data from sheet A and bring it into sheet B like a cell link.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• LeAndre P
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

I must be missing something. As suggested, I created a new Row Report however, the rows don’t seem to be updating when changes are made to the source sheet. Of course, if I manually link the rows in question I am able to get the desired result however, manual updating is what I am trying to avoid having to do each time new rows are added, and changes are made thereafter.

I think it is important to note that I was not giving an option to select anything other than the source sheet during the report creation process. So, in theory there is no connection between sheet A and sheet B. Also, report sheets do not appear to have automation options to create a change event, so I am confused about how to get this working.

Regards,

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @LeAndre P

Can you post screen captures of the Report you built? Is it possible that you created a sheet instead of a Report type of Smartsheet item?

From here, you can click on the orange Report: https://app.smartsheet.com/new

Then select Row Report. The builder at the top should direct you through the rest of the steps. The Source Sheets tab will allow you to select any sheet that you have at least Viewer access to throughout your entire account:

Here's a free Webinar that walks through the steps: SmartStart: Reporting.

Let me know if this looks like how you started to set up your Report!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• g wing
    g wing ✭✭
    Options

@LeAndre P I'm experiencing the exact same situation where the row field isn't there to map to it. Have you had any luck discovering a solution?