Populate AutoNumber Before Update

Options

I use a form to populate an intake sheet.

My intake sheet has an auto-number column that gets populated when a new record is created.

I am looking for a way to present the Auto-Number on the form at the time the data is being entered so that it can be included in the naming of a file being attached to the record.

I thought about a formula field that =autonumber + 1 but, It could mess things up if another user creates a record before another user completes and submits their form.

Open to ideas

Thanks

Best Answers

• JCluff
    JCluff ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately there is no way to reference any existing data in the sheet via Forms. Any formula set as a default value will simply just input that formula in the cell when the form is submitted.

Alternatively, another option would be to create a dashboard and imbed the form with the web content widget and include a metric widget referencing a calculated field that finds the next auto-number from the sheet. This isn't a pretty fix, but it would solve your need.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Detrie Zacharias

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Try something like this.

=VALUE(RIGHT([Work ID]@row, 5)) + 1 

Did it work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers