Data Mesh vs Data Shuttle

Options

I’m looking to create an end to end workflow which will include 3 sheets.

The first sheet with be an intake sheet for stage 1 of the process.

There will be an approval within the sheet: of which, I want only certain columns to be moved to another sheet. Obviously, this can be done in SMAR via an automation and all columns move/copy to my other sheet

Another option I have tried is an index match using the common row ID which appears in both sheets but will that affect scalability/performance when there are many rows and columns on the sheet?

What is the workaround in these scenarios where only certain columns are required? Is this where Data Mesh or Data Shuttle come into play?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @1845sarah

I hope you're well and safe!

INDEX/MATCH should work just fine if you don't hit the limits. How many rows and columns are you expecting?

Another option could be my workaround described below.

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

• Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@1845sarah

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Yes, if you have the option to use Control Center, that would probably be the best solution, but I also think it could work fine with one of the other options.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @1845sarah

I hope you're well and safe!

INDEX/MATCH should work just fine if you don't hit the limits. How many rows and columns are you expecting?

Another option could be my workaround described below.

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

• Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• 1845sarah
    1845sarah ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Andree

Yes - have done that, thankyou. Its the number of rows and cells and columns at the moment which is a concern. I just know there will be 'lots'! And whatever is in place needs to be robust!

To be honest, I think a SCC Blueprint is required: there is an intake sheet and project toolkit which needs to then roll up into a portfolio summary.

Thankyou for responding!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@1845sarah

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Yes, if you have the option to use Control Center, that would probably be the best solution, but I also think it could work fine with one of the other options.