Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Enhancement Request: LOOKUP argument for default value

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I would like to request an additional argument (optional) for the LOOKUP function for a return value when no match is found. The MATCH() function could use this as well.

I know having two optional arguments may be a pain. Throwing an error would also provide functionality, but I don't want to suggest using an error message as a feature.

At the simplest, just allowing me to use "No Match Found" as the default value would sometimes save time troubleshooting other formulas that reference the LOOKUP's return value.

In many cases, I know what the result should be in there is not a match.

Also, the  text of the LOOKUP help article has a mismatch in terms.

See attached.

This request has also be posted to the WebForm

Craig

LOOKUP_doc_mismatch.jpg

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Craig, I'm sure you know this already, and it is duplication of your formula, but you can do this with a formula structure like the following:

=IF(ISBLANK(MATCH()), "No Match Found", MATCH())

This will return "No Match Found" if the MATCH function returns a blank result. Otherwise, it runs the MATCH function.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shaine,

Thanks for pointing that out.

There was a discussion somewhere about being able to save a value like the return of the MATCH function so we would not have to use it over and over again, for example in a nested IF statement.

I'm trying to avoid MATCH and INDEX except where I can't get LOOKUP to do what I want it to. 

I'm not hopeful that we'll get this, but I had to ask.

Craig

• Doesn't hurt to ask. smiley

This discussion has been closed.