Notification When a Date Changes

Options

I am trying to work with formulas and notifications so that if a person does not change a date in a cell, then they are sent an email reminder. Once they change the date in the cell, they won't be sent the reminder.

In the picture above, somebody will manually enter the Due Diligence Date. The Site Development and Hard Construction cells have a formula so that the date in them is 30 days prior to the Due Diligence Date. These dates that are 30 days prior act as deadlines for when they need to determine the Site Development and Hard Construction costs. When they determine those costs, they will go in and change the date to reflect the date they did this. Ultimately, I need automated reminders to go out to the various people if they have not updated those cells. For each sheet, I will need to create reminders for each date. For this example, just the two. I started playing around with some formulas, but nothing worked correctly.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@M. David

You can use automation for this.

Trigger: When a Date is reached, date field (pick one, either Site Development Costs or Hard Construction Costs)

Condition: If Date Updated? column is blank

Action: Alert someone

(If you want reminders to go out like a week before the Site Development Costs date as well, create a helper date column with formula =[Site Development Costs]@row -7 and use this date as the trigger date for another automation like the one above.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!